Friday, October 2, 2009

5 Questions: A rabbit girl art

When I was very small, my Dad used to recite the poem Wynken Blynken and Nod to my sister and me at bed time. When I was pregnant I wanted to make it a part of the Peanut's childhood too.

So I painted her a small picture illustrating Wynken Blynken and Nod for her room. I was quite pleased with it, but I would have loved to have done half as good a job as Arabbitgirl's collage of the same name; It's so full of whimsy and has the dream like quality that I was working for in my own painting but didn't quite reach, I love it and am currently coveting it with a passion.

And that's what Karen Preston, the artist behind arabbitgirl wants her work to be known for; beautiful, day dream inspired, digital collage prints. Browsing through Karen's shop is an invitation to step outside of the mundane and marvel at the sublime concoctions that Karen has included there.

With subject matter that spans fairy tales, the circus and vintage engraving collages as well as pencil and digital drawings, Karen's art has an innocence juxtaposed with a delicious edge which brings your eyes back again and again.

In addition to arabbitgirl.etsy.com you can also view Karen's work on Flickr as well as on Trunkt.org . Karen also writes Life & Art of a Rabbit Girl a blog where she shares her work in progress, snippets from her personal life and some of her favourite Etsy items.


What got you started?

I suppose being born got me started. I believe that we all come here with a preconceived plan.
I have always felt a need to create. Its just something I have to do to be happy.


Do you listen to music when you create? If yes, what's on your play list right now and why?

Sometimes I listen to music when I create. Right now Tom Waits is on my playlist. His music can bring me to the place I need to be. It's so full of magic. I like to fill my work with the same type of magic his music holds.

Do you have a Etsy Shop that you drop in on to see what’s new?

There is no one shop I drop in on. I often browse through the vintage shops.

Which Children's book character would you be and why?

Oh boy thats a tough one. There are far to many children's book characters that I love.

Charlie Bucket
- because his eyes and mind are so open and impressionable his adventure so fantastic.

Willie Wonka- because he is so confident in his craziness.

A Who in Whoville
- because they are always kind and generous and know the true meaning of Christmas, and they know all the words to that great Christmas song.

Pippi Longstocking
- because she is brave, she has a monkey for a pet and she makes her own rules.



Rock, Paper or Scissors?
Paper




Did you see something that you simply must know more about? Click on any of the pictures in this feature to find out more! As always your thoughts and comments are welcome, plus they'll put a smile on my face. If you want to make me jump for joy, head over to Arabbitgirl's shop and buy one of her amazing prints, I swear I'll do a little dance.

5 comments:

CaffeinatedFrenzy said...

This work almost reminds me of A Garden of Earthly Delights . . . so pretty and dreamy :)

Anonymous said...

What a fun interview!

Veggiemuse said...

there is a very interesting feeling around this work...I really like it. Sort of takes you away...

Joy De Vivre Design said...

What a great artist! Very beautiful work.

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog and for the kind comments!

Unknown said...

Wow, what an awesome artist and such a fun shop! Great feature!!

And I love Wynken Blynken and Nod, too! I really should recite that for my girls... they will love it before bedtime :)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts