Sunday, January 23, 2011

I may be deluding myself

But I've got a big stack of books for reading over the next week or so. Of course I'm not taking into account the whole going to be taking care of a newborn in about 3 days or so.

The thing is, is that I can't not read. I read and re-read books just to have a story going at all times. The problem is that I get in author ruts and find it hard to pick up a new one without some sort of recommendation. To be honest my book reading practice has become very much like that of a finicky eater who is longing to break out of a rut. I read books that I've love and re-read them because the choices open to me when I step into the library are so vast that it's easier to pick the tried and true than it is to venture into uncharted territory. And then when I do taste something new and fresh and I enjoy it; it becomes an obsession and I collect the plots of a new author.

I'm fortunate in that I have this amazing friend who is as avid a reader as I am... OK if I'm going to be honest she's more avid a reader than I am, she devours books like chocolate, she always has something new in her bag to read. She's been tossing the odd suggestion my way over the last little for which I'm very grateful, after all, there's only so many times you can read the same book in one year...

So with the Bean on the verge of reality I'm piled high with some new reads and looking for more, What else should I be doing while I'm breastfeeding? Watching TV? What's on your night table? What book are you reading that you just can't put down, can't stop thinking about? Me? I've been reading China MiƩville; courtesy of a suggestion by my above friend, I just finished Kraken, Looking for Jake and Iron Council and I'm looking forward reading Un Lun Dun.

2 comments:

Danni said...

I loved China Mieville's Perdido Street Station, I've read it at least three times, but I canbe a it of a science fiction fan girl sometimes.

I can completely relate to the reading ruts, I get like that myself. I've been catching up on best-sellers from the past few years, since I prefer to buy books used rather then brand new. I have a few books to read for reviews on my table along with 'Water for Elephants' and 'The Time Travelers Wife.'

Auntie sezzzzzz... said...

Great idea to have a set-up of reading material!!! Very wise and all that, too.

Hugs and ♥'s...
'Cause Valentine Day is coming!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts